This is the heading of an email I received a couple of weeks ago. I've received a few more since then, but this is still the best one because it threw me for such a loop. What in the world?? Now I can explain. The expat community site that I joined is a cross between LinkedIn and Facebook. It's a little more like LinkedIn though where there's a free membership or there's a more advanced membership if you choose. However, I don't think can, or would want to, twinkle someone. A twinkle is more like a Facebook poke.
I apologize for that paragraph, but now we can move on. So I've received a few twinkles and private messages. I've even written some emails, but I hadn't met anyone yet. Until this weekend. Unfortunately, I still haven't met Federico the Italian. But now I have met a German and an American. And no, no one tried to kill me with a bread knife.
I met the German at the 11.11.11 wine party after a fantastic Skype date with my Karebear. It was an English-speaking event, so naturally I was one of the best speakers. Actually, this might not be true. There are some crazy good English-speakers out there. After this party, I was able to to add to my firsts. My first night out on the Reeperbahn (it's better to go out with someone you just met instead of by yourself...right?) and my first ride on the HH U-bahn. Both were rather enjoyable.
It turns out that one of his friends (or a friend of a friend?) works for the warehouse that we use, so we had a mutual contact. Small world indeed. The China Lounge proved to be a good time. I was only sad when I learned that they don't call vodka Red Bulls a Gummibärli (gummy bear). Sad.
They have started to build and construct the Christmas markets and Saturday night brought the first frost. I was glad to have my warm coat and gloves. Winter is fine as long as there is Glühwein. Sunday, was a busy afternoon with a Skype date with Mom and Dad (and Zeus) and going to Stephanie's orchestra concert with Berit.
I miss band and orchestra so much. Truly. Can anyone hook me up with a bassoon ;) ? I will definitely be playing some Lion King and Phantom of the Opera on the clarinet when I'm home. And at least I now have a connection to a basketball hoop. Just need a ball.
A very busy weekend. So busy, I haven't been able to finish the last 40 pages of my book! Making friends is hard work. Clearly it is easier to make guy friends, but what I really need are some girl friends. I will keep working on it. Twinkle, twinkle.
Oh, and I celebrated 12 years with only a minimal headache. Thanks for the love and support.
Sounds like a lovely weekend! We saw some snowflakes for the first time a few days ago, and then within a day or two it was 75 degrees. Oh Chicago.
ReplyDelete