04 November 2011

Wochenmarkt

Every Thursday, there is a weekly market that sets up on the street right out of the office. It's there from 7:30 to 14:30 and it's the go-to spot for lunch. I've gone every Thursday that I've been in town and had a currywurst with the boys. I was a little torn about this week though. I really enjoy the currywurst and I really enjoy the company, but at home I hardly ever eat hot dogs and I eat fries about once a month.

If you recall my coke sharing/stealing policy, this also applies to fries. Usually the victim is my dad, so sometimes if we're nearing the end of a meal, and I haven't already helped myself, he'll ask if I want any fries.

I say no.

And then he asks if I'm sure.

And then I take two fries.

"I knew you would take those two" or "I saved those for you".

So, with a heavy heart , I declined the invitation this week. Technically, I could get the wurst without the Pommes, but I think I'll just try an every other week or once a month plan. They did almost guilt me into going though.

Which lead to my first market experience with the ladies. After the guys returned, Linda, Berit, and I headed over. Linda was going to head to the fish side and Berit was going for Asian. Both sounded good, but I figured I should have some of the wonderful seafood that HH (Hamburg) has to offer. We had to choose between warm and cold. The line was a lot shorter for cold, so that's where we headed.

This is where I learned the German word for "copycat". Linda and I both had crab salad on a Brötchen. It was pretty yummy. A little messy to eat, but very good. Berit's dish also looked good and what I found most noteworthy was that it was served in a real dish. So classy. And the opposite of wasteful.

We were still a bit hungry, so we went in search of some fruit. I had my eye on an apple. Until we passed the crepe stand. One Nutella crepe coming right up. Next time I will try cinnamon and sugar. Or I'll get Bienenstich. Or one of the many other awesome things being served.

To put this in perspective, it's like walking out to the parking lot at work and having carts and carts of fresh, awesome foods and goods. Honey made in Germany. Candles. Cheese galore. Fruits. Veggies. Coffee. And more.

Thursday lunches will provide endless new adventures.

2 comments:

  1. I say just enjoy it, don't worry about eating too much (all the walking you do will balance it all out!) Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete