11 November 2011

Fly Free

Photo Credit

I love my mom.

She is such a great mom that three months ago, on her own birthday, she gave my sister and me each a small present. Don't worry, she received presents too! It was just the three of us as we had celebrated a day early with the whole family.

She had gone to find a few things for herself, but couldn't help but buy some things for her girls. (Sorry, Stever!) The presents weren't wrapped -- she excitedly sorted through her stash and came back with two arms behind her back.

"This is for you and this is for you."

Karen and I each looked at our presents and then each other. And then we looked at Mom and smiled, "What is it?"

We each held a Fossil charm in our hands. A bird for me and a key for Karen.

My mom explained, "I thought you could put on a chain."

"Cool." We examined them a little closer.

"So...why a bird?" I asked with genuine curiosity. Why is one of my favorite words.

"It's means you should fly free. Go to Germany and start the next part of your life."

Wow, deep. I did notice at that moment that the bottom of the packaging said "fly free", but it was such a moving and loving sentiment. A gentle way to be pushed out of the nest. I could tell that Karen thought so too. I saw her eyes gleam as she asked, "And what does the key mean?"

"You like keys," my mom answered matter-of-factly.

Plain and simple. We all burst out laughing. Although it is true. Karen does like old skeleton keys, she always has.

Karen put her key on a silver chain and I attached my half-inch bird to the zipper of my purse. Every day when I see that bird it makes me smile. And sometimes chortle. I am so blessed that my mom is also one of my best friends which makes me miss her more.

When telling people that I was leaving for Germany, the first or second question was consistently, "What do your parents think?!"

They were ecstatic. I'm not sure my parents intended to raise such internationally adventurous children, but they have been more than supportive. Even if it means nudging us just a little bit so that we can fly free.

3 comments:

  1. awww love it! what a cute gift! I bet you miss her. Only a few more weeks until you return though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laughing & crying. I heart Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Small tear in my eye! :) Fly free, one load Lynn!

    ReplyDelete