09 November 2011

Scary Dream, Bread to Blame?

I woke up this morning feeling very frightened. Who wouldn't if someone was trying to kill you with a bread knife?! The dream was quite vivid and clear in my mind when I woke up, but I was too scared to get up for paper to write it down. I do actually keep a dream journal at home, but it didn't make the trip. I haven't had any Stephenie Meyer/Twilight moments, but it has sparked a few cool poems.

But back to this dream, I was at my house, which wasn't actually my house, and every time I went in, I would catch a glimpse of a man in jeans and a gray shirt with a bread knife. I don't know why I kept returning to the house, it was literally all I did...over and over..., and I don't know why the killer would run away from me.

One time, I asked a stranger to come in the house with me to make sure it was safe. Yes, great idea, invite one stranger in to protect you from another stranger who wants to kill you. But I think I knew who the stranger was even though he didn't know me and I couldn't see his face.

And then some high school people started showing up. Don't they always? And I kept seeing the killer peeking out of my window and then I'd go in after him. Again, shouldn't you run away from someone trying to kill you? But I needed to know who it was. Maybe he wasn't trying to kill me after all. However, we all referred to him as "The ---- Killer". I just can't remember the actual word. And for the record, death by bread knife would probably not be a great way to go.

As you may have expected, I woke up just as I was about to catch a glimpse of his face.


Yesterday's happenings that may have contributed to the dream:
-I'm reading a Nelson DeMille mystery that did involve a murder (with a gun).
-I've been communicating with some people on InterNations and will hopefully meet some in person soon.
-I read an article about how unhealthy bread can be and that you may think you're eating healthy bread but you're not. I hardly eat bread at home, but here I eat bread like the Germans drink sparkling water.
-Facebook.

Possible interpretation: I'm anxious about meeting new people and concerned that I'm eating unhealthy bread.

This morning, I did check my bread ingredients and it looks like I'm in the clear. [Sigh of relief.] And now I have some emails about meeting up with people. Let's just hope no one shows up with a bread knife. Just kidding, these people seem perfectly normal :)

Also, I did actually make a new friend last night! After some last minute planning, I was able to meet up with a woman named Wiebke. It's a little convoluted, but we both know a woman (who also happened to teach my mom music in junior high!) who was at a German/American conference and our contact info was passed along to each other.

We had a wonderful dinner and easy conversation. We spoke mostly German, but we did switch into English every now and then. She lived in West Virgina for year, so we will both be able to practice our learned languages. As an added bonus, I will tell you that I ate nachos with a knife and fork. I should keep a running lists of 'firsts'.

3 comments:

  1. Ah so, you are so refined to eat nachos with a fork and knife. Let's hear if any of these new people you meet are wearing gray shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed this today! Such a fabulous, funny post, my Lynny! I promise to never bring bread knifes, bread, or Facebook near you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On a sparkling water note, you will be happy to know that Mariano's also carries Gerolsteiner, much to my delight. Lecker!

    ReplyDelete