Have I mentioned that I've joined a really fabulous network of international women in Hamburg? Well, it's called Girl Gone International (GGI) and it's pretty great. Although I think the Hamburg group is the most developed to date, the group is growing and spreading across many European cities. It's a great way to ask advice, buy and sell items, and make new friends.
With the colder weather approaching, a few "winter activities" were added to the mix of existing groups and events. I was elated to see that a book club was one of the options.
Our first meeting was last night and it was quite a success. We chose Brother Grimm by Craig Russell as our first reading selection. It's a murder mystery set in Hamburg. How perfect? This was one of those books that was such a perfect fit for me, but I might not have ever found it on my own.
Russell hails from Scotland, but is fluent in German. While the book was written in English, there's a smattering of German words thrown in that made it extra enjoyable for me. Plus, Jan Fabel, the Erster Kriminalhauptkommissar of the Mordkommission lives, quite fictitiously, a few streets away from my office.
As the title may suggest, the book also deals with the Brothers Grimm fairy tales. A serial killer is running around Hamburg posing dead bodies as characters from the famously gruesome stories. I think I've been working with Disney too long because I seem to have forgotten how awful, and at times disturbing, the original versions were. I definitely need to read and re-read.
Our group of five met at Lühmanns Teestube in Blankenese. Why Blankenese? Because that's where the first body was found, of course. It was a comfy, cozy restaurant with the most delicious Kuchen. Hot chocolate and cake for dinner? Yes, please.
We had a nice group of ladies and we covered lots of ground. The best part? We actually discussed the book. Not the entire two hours, but much, much more than any book club I've participated in in the past.
In case this book interests you, it's good to mention that there are a couple of Jan Fabel books already on the market. Brother Grimm is actually the second one, so you might want to start with Blood Eagle. I need to get my hands on a copy myself!
The only downside to reading this book is that, although I feel very safe in Hamburg, I've found myself a little more nervous walking alone in the dark at night! Time to read something light and fluffy.
On a completely unrelated note, I have to mention the ladies room at Lühmanns. There was a strategically placed mirror on the back of the door that allowed for...multi-tasking. It was the perfect opportunity to check my hair and makeup without lingering at the sink. Very clever.

No comments:
Post a Comment