My weekend was jam-packed with fun activities, but my highlight was the Dahliengarten. They are my favorite flower and I've never seen such a wonderful collection. My grandpa used to grow dahlias, so I have very fond memories of them. I remember when the whole family would gather near the end of Fall to dig up the tubers and wrap and store them in the garage. It was a lot of work, but as a child, I still found it interesting.
If you've seen the dinner plate variety in person, you can just imagine how large (and beautiful!) they appear to a small child. Part of what I love about these flowers is that there are so many unique varieties, colors, and sizes. And the names of each plant are worth noting.
Because the 20th anniversary of his death was this summer, it was an extra special way for me to remember him. The dahlia season doesn't last very long, so I plan to return as soon as possible!
| Quick no one's looking! |
| My new iPhone backdrop |
![]() |
| They aren't really fragrant. |
| Nail polish inspiration. |
![]() |
| Sorina took this one. |
| So big. |
![]() |
| So happy :) |
Plan your visit now :)




I LOVE this post! There is a house in AH near South Middle School (where I often play fetch with the dog) that I found an amazing little garden of Dahlias with some really neat colors. Of course I headed back over there one day with my camera and an old man came out of the house. I was a little nervous, but he was happy to tell me all about the flowers and show me the special ones that he had grafted to create unique coloring. His garden is amazing and I'm glad that he was happy to share it with me! I'll have to send you some of the pictures I took of some of the more interesting flowers.
ReplyDeleteAwesome story, Heidi! I'd love to see those pictures. I also bet you totally made his day :)
Delete