I finally checked another northern German cuisine off my listf-- Grünkohl. My colleagues have been eating it like crazy lately and today when they discovered I hadn't actually tried it, and didn't know what to each for lunch, they made me try it. And I loved it! I had always just assumed it was green cabbage, but after looking it up today just to be sure, the word is the same for green cabbage and kale. So, now I'm uncertain. But it is delicious.
It's currently in season. You can't have it until after the first frost. And it's packed with vitamin C, so it's perfect for the winter months.
I was able to get this at the deli counter at the grocery store. They packed two large scoops into a plastic container (the same as the salad bar container) plus three sausages. Apparently we had a more-complicated-than-usual ordering experience today as the sausages are packages in fours but my colleague knew I couldn't eat four (she was right!). I got the three, and a little package of Senf (mustard) for 10¢, and was set. All for a total of 3,50€.*
I placed it in a bowl and put it in the microwave for four minutes. Yum, yum, yum. I did have a bit of the cabbage/kale left over, so I'll eat that tomorrow.
**Tip: If you go to Edeka, get it at the deli counter and not where the pre-packaged lunches are. You get more food for less unless you really want the potatoes which are only ok.
Is it already cooked? or are you cooking it in the microwave?
ReplyDeleteYes, I just warmed it up. There are many different recipes, so I'm not sure who cooked mine or what was in it :) All I can say it was good and I cannot wait to eat it again!
Delete