25 November 2011

Giving Thanks

I often dream about living in Brontë novels where long-hand letters arrive without notice or visitors come calling for a week or three. The idea is so romantic and personal and thrilling. But then there are days where technology just warms my heart to pieces. Yesterday was was of those days.

If I moved to Europe in the time of Brontë, I'm pretty sure all of you would just wish me well and carry on your lives as if I never existed. But with Skype, Facebook, Blogger, Gmail, and Apple -- you can't get rid of me! I was lucky enough to talk with (and see!) some of my family yesterday. I even witnessed the cat trying to punch a dog. Plus, this is the Thanksgiving that I will refer to as "the one where I was projected on a 60" TV".


Granted, I had to hang up when the football game started (don't worry it was actually mutual). We've come a long way from the payphone calls and Friendster (what??) of 2003 when I spent Thanksgiving in Innsbruck, Austria.

Which brings me to what I'm most thankful for this year. In case you didn't see it on Facebook, I am thankful for all of you who love and support me when I continue to leave you for German-speaking countries. From the high school and college friends who stuck with me via AIM, care packages, and letters (before the Facebook era!) to grandmas who use Skype as a verb to parents who plan their Sundays around my availability seven hours ahead. I am a very lucky lady this year.

But back to the turkey, no worries, I still had some! I think I set a new record for cooking on my own. I prepared: turkey breasts, green bean casserole, apple and raisin stuffing, corn, mashed potatoes, and gravy. The temperature of all of the food served was acceptable and I escaped with only a scratch on my forearm from the microwave. The best part was that no one was there to tell me when I did something "wrong" or unconventional ;)

I made the stuffing and green beans on Wednesday since they were more time-intensive and also easily reheatable. The stuffing recipe is from Liz and it's what we ate during our Thanksgivings in Wien (and some random weeknights when we were out of cooking ideas). Unfortunately, I had to recalculate the recipe into metric and, to be honest, sometimes I just guessed. I think it turned out great though. Even though it always tastes better when someone else (aka Liz) makes it.

The green bean casserole was also a last-minute idea. I was going to make plain beans (one of my faves) but then decided to go all out. The thing is that I decided this on my way to the grocery store, after I had left the safety of the internet and recipes and calculators. So, I just made this one up. I mean, there's not much science to it anyway, so I told myself. I mixed up the beans with the mushroom soup, mixed in some fried onions (the only ingredient I had to ask for help to find) and threw it in the oven. I just picked a random temperature and literally just watched it bubble away in the oven until it seemed done.

Who needs a 30-minute sitcom when there's an oven to watch? I highly recommend spending a night with yourself without internet...it's amazing what you might find yourself doing. I'm not sure if this makes it better or worse, but my choice music for food prep was high school band/orchestra music. Bubbling green beans and the 1812 Overture go great together.

There was more than enough food for seconds and there are still leftovers. Yay, I can cook after all! Yay, there's more food to eat! But if I had one wish, it would have been for pumpkin pie. Although, technically, if wishes were being granted, I would have chosen to teleport through the TV to Thanksgiving in Arlington Heights.


P.S. Duh, orange napkins.
P.P.S. I found myself relapsing and eating like an American. I blame the gravy.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you had a delicious Thanksgiving Day meal, love! Miss you tons, and can't wait to see you and your radiating happiness so soon!

    ReplyDelete