21 November 2011

Mürbeteig


I love how lazy the internet allows me to be. This picture is an exact replica of my Saturday night. I went to Wiebke's for dinner and Christmas cookie baking. Since she had been to the dentist earlier in week, we had a soft dinner of boiled potatoes, creamed spinach, and hard boiled eggs. It was not something I would think to pair together, but it was wonderful! We drank Apfelschorles and lots of tea.

For the baking, we made Mürbeteig, which is like a shortbread of sorts, and we also made another one that I can't remember the name for, oops. Plus, is was a recipe from her grandma, so the handwriting, although beautiful, was a little difficult for me to read.

We used almost all of the forms: stars, like in the picture, hearts, trees, angels, shooting starts, and bells. We then made a glaze of lemon juice and powdered sugar to drizzle on the top. They were pretty yummy. They tasted to good, I decided to give some to Elke (my roommate/landlady) and bring the rest to my colleague's house for Sunday dinner. Wiebke even gave me a lovely Hamburg cookie tin to take home the cookies.

Stephanie invited me to dinner at her house on Sunday and it was so nice to meet her husband/boyfriend and little son, Robin. He is really so cute. Two other couples with little ones were invited and it was a wonderful afternoon/evening of good conversation and good company - complete with ACDC.

For dinner we had a chicken and vegetables with reis. As an added bonus there was joghurt dressing and mango chutney. Dessert was a fruit salad, plus cookies of course. I couldn't get over how great the grapes tasted. I've been shying away from green grapes at home because they just don't taste that great. I think they're too big and taste watery. These grapes were so sweet and tasty and the perfect size.

The only downside to the evening was when I accidentally asked one of women how old she was (!) instead of asking how old the child was. I realized what I was doing but much too late. The funny thing is that she answered me and then goes, oh did you mean the baby? I didn't feel as bad because she wasn't much older than me anyway. And I told her how old I was. But really, who does this? This was totally a middle school grammar mistake. At least it was fun to play with the kiddos.

2 comments:

  1. Nice to know you are able to enjoy the holidays the same as here. Making Christmas cookies is something we always do too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again... I once told a German I was 64. Schade.

    ReplyDelete