23 July 2012

Hugo

I found my new favorite (summer) drink. After ordering the drink per recommendation, I really wasn't sure what to expect when I took my first sip from the straw. I immediately knew I loved it and needed to know the ingredient list. What topped the list? Elderflower syrup!

Some of you may or may not recognize that flavor and, more importantly, my love for that flavor. In my opinion, it makes very infrequent appearances in the US. Please try it if you ever get the chance -- elderflower or elderberry.

A Hugo is basically Prosecco, elderflower syrup, mint, lime, a splash of sparkling water, and ICE CUBES. A rarity in Europe.

As I've only experienced two of these lovely drinks (so far), I'm no expert, but it is definitely a drink that comes in many variations. The first one was made with a bit more syrup and, therefore, a bit sweeter. It came in a tall thin glass with a straw. At another restaurant, my second Hugo was served in a large wine glass without a straw. It was a bit less sweet, but equally satisfying.

This drink comes at a wonderful time, as summer is finally making an appearance in Hamburg. After quite a few weeks of rain and temperatures in the 60s, we are finally seeing some sun and some higher numbers in the forecast.


3 comments: