One year.
Not only did I survive my first year in Hamburg, but it was also possibly my best year yet.
It
was an easy decision to move to Hamburg, but still difficult and scary.
I know that my time in Austria prepared me immensely for this journey,
and yet, as expected, there have still been many challenges.
Even
though it's been one of my best years to date, that doesn't mean it was
all Schoko Croissants and sunshine. Even though those are the moments I
usually choose to share with you.
In addition to
my highs, I've naturally experienced some lows. In fact, I'd even go as
far as saying my highs were really high and my lows were really low. But
I wouldn't change a thing. In a twisted way, I think this was better
for me than playing it safe in the middle ground where everything is
average and normal and safe and ok.
[Why would I want to share bouts of homesickness and the fact that I sometimes play Bananagrams alone at night?...]
As
I head into my second year, I need to reevaluate my goals and push
myself even further to improve in all areas of life. It's amazing how
quickly major changes become regular life and it's easy to settle in and
forget that the world is still changing around us.
Thank
you for being a part of this last year and I hopefully I will continue
to find new and different topics to keep this blog interesting.
Happy October!
P.S.
Does thinking about "no regret" also make anyone else think about the
90's and over-sized No Fear shirts (with Umbro shorts)? Just me?

Been missing you for 366 days. Thanks for making it so easy for us all to catch up with you here on this blog and giving us great visuals so we can imagine your every step! Xoxoxo
ReplyDeleteWow! what a year it has been and I've missed you deeply, every one of those days. Anyway, wouldn't you rather have the roller coaster ride of your life than the flat line bleh.
ReplyDeleteEven though many don't comment, you have a reader following. We are living vicariously through you. Love you!!! xoxox
I LOVED those t-shirts! :) Mostly, I'm so glad that you have loved this past year, and I can't wait to see what one more brings you!
ReplyDeleteOn that note, is it December yet? We miss you like crazy.
A GREAT post and obviously I can totally relate and look forward to my one year mark too and the reflections it will bring. I especially enjoyed the line, "Even though it's been one of my best years to date, that doesn't mean it was all Schoko Croissants and sunshine." Awesome. I've often said that as well about the highs and lows since a friend who's lived abroad three times told me that. The thing about living abroad is that it's like life but intensified....the good AND the bad. But it's amazing and I think you, like me, love to be in that crazy, non-average place. I look forward to seeing how year two goes for you and I'm happy we met and can share experiences together here in Hamburg!
ReplyDeleteI can't believe it's been a year already! Props to you for making it through. What an amazing opportunity you have!
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to see you again though!