I think the part that really makes me a nerd is that I sat on a bench outside of the grocery store to eat my salad. It was a little brisk, but I enjoyed the fresh air and people-watching. I don't think you would ever catch me eating a salad in the parking lot at Jewel or Garden Fresh, but I hardly think you can compare. At least I had my Cripsellos for dessert. I have been seeing so many commercials that I had to try them (I chose the ones with vanilla pudding). They were different than expected, but still enjoyable.
I wonder if anyone has a blog about dining alone at restaurants. In any case, here's one last anecdote (for now). Last week, at my table for one, I put my laptop on the empty side of the small booth. I could see it sitting there in its cute little orange bag and for one brief second I had a vision of myself having a conversation with it. Naturally, it spoke in that old-school computer/robot voice. I actually laughed out loud to myself. But then my buzz was killed as another solo diner sat down facing me at the next booth. Awkward.
Also one of my favorite things about being in a new country - exploring the grocery store. It is just amazing to find out how many different products there are despite the fact that many times the companies are the same (Cadbury, Nestle...don't mind that those are both chocolate companies...). I always find myself analyzing all the stuff in the international section of Mariano's too. We've actually found (and purchased) German curry ketchup there in case we need to satisfy some unauthentic curry wurst in the AH.
ReplyDeleteSadly, I have yet to sit down and do long division anywhere just for fun. That is quite a different extension of "nerd". ;p
ReplyDeleteYou make me smile, so incredibly much.
ReplyDeleteLove it. I'll never think you're a nerd. I miss the opportunity to choose how much of something you want; like a handful of spinach or a few mushrooms instead of being confined to the pre-packaged amounts. Sigh!
ReplyDelete