13 August 2012

Summer Olympics 2012


Watching Olympic coverage in a country other than your own is definitely a different experience (I am assuming it's different if you're actually at the games!). I really can't say I  missed the Olympics. It kind of flew under the radar.

In the US, it's a great time for everyone to band together and have common viewing experiences. For two weeks, super fans aside, everyone gets emotionally involved with the athletes and their back stories as they compete for our country. It's 100% Olympics. And there's Bob Costas.


I never really stopped to think what it might be like to watch the Olympics as an American in a country outside of the USA. It's alarmingly non-USA-centric. Of course.

If the US wasn't competing against a German, we really didn't get to see it. It makes perfect sense. But, it just made the Olympics a little less interesting for me. Sure, I rooted for the German athletes, but there weren't enough fluff pieces and interviews to make me really invested in their success.

Although, it was kind of cool to hear the national anthem so often during swimming medal ceremonies. Michael Phelps kept things interesting over here while the German swimmers came up a bit short.

On the other hand, it was fascinating to really look at which events the German excelled. This is something the biased US coverages forces you to overlook. The Germans did quite well when it came to water and horses. Riding sports and water sports brought home quite a few medals.

So, while I would have loved to see the US women's beach volleyball 3-peat or watch the US women's soccer rematch of the World Cup, I survived. Is it bad that I don't feel like I missed out? I did get to watch Michael Phelps' domination which means I did get to witness at least some Olympic history.

Overall, I think I can now safely say that the Olympics for the USA is as similar  as we get to the Euro Cup for Europe. The indescribable feeling of unity and pride and togetherness. And, let me tell you, that US Olympic feeling, although still great, it just no where near the level of Euro Cup in Europe.

One final note, seeing the Spice Girls reunite will be my top memory from this Olympiad.




No comments:

Post a Comment