17 August 2012

Big √ on the To-Do List


Back when I was living in Vienna, I wrote a few (very short) pieces for an online magazine called Ether geared toward expats. I filled in for five months while the regular guy dealt with some university enrollment issues. I hardly recall how I landed the short-term gig, but I do remember there being some confusion about the topic.

I wrote pieces on university life -- American vs. Austrian. I was very clear that I was no longer a student, but as I was only six months post-graduation it was deemed acceptable. It's not like I was that far removed from the college scene.

Each month I would pitch an idea, it would be approved with a suggestion or direction, and I would write 250 words. I never met the editor or anyone else involved with the publication.

It was unpaid, but it was something to help occupy my free time -- I only worked 12-hour weeks with a couple extra hours of lesson planning. I was bummed after my stint was up, but it was great while it lasted. Who doesn't love seeing their name in print?

I knew I needed to print out my pieces and include them in my writing portfolio. It was on my giant To-Do list. I completely forgot about these pieces until just recently.

And then I couldn't find the website to download the pdf issues.

After a bit of searching, I was able to track down where the old issues have been kept for the now defunct website and access my work. Now I have the pdfs from January 2007 to May 2007 safely in my possession. Check.

And now I remember how much I enjoyed writing, and reading, for this publication. Maybe Hamburg has something similar? I'll add this to the To-Do list --let's hope it doesn't take five years.

Some samples of my writing, if you're curious. Here's a link in case you would like to view complete issues.

May 2007 - Ether Magazine, Vienna, Austria

April 2007 - Ether Magazine, Vienna, Austria

March 2007 - Ether Magazine, Vienna, Austria

February 2007 - Ether Magazine, Vienna, Austria
January 2007 - Ether Magazine, Vienna, Austria




No comments:

Post a Comment