22 August 2012

Blankenese

A visit to Blankenese had been on my mind for a while, so, naturally, I ended up going twice within one week. Both visits were unique and very delightful.

It is a lovely little area of west Hamburg located on the Elbe River. I felt like I was on a little vacation while wandering around the Treppenviertel (stairs quarter) of the old fishing village.

Andreas and Sorina were wonderful tour guides. All photo credits to Andreas!

The view at the highest point Süllberg.

Once we finally found a parking spot, we climbed the hill to Süllberg. We had great photo opps on a beautiful weeknight. We joined the long line at the Imbiss where Sorina and I decided to share a massive cheeseburger with BBQ sauce and bacon while Andreas chose Leberkäse.


Cheeseburger with bacon and BBQ sauce and an Alsterwasser.

I couldn't believe my eyes when we got a little closer to the grill and I noticed a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's. The Chicago BBQ sauce! The very one I brought to Germany in my suitcase. I asked the guy if they bought it here or imported it and, of course, they import it. I might have to go back.

Me and Sorina before sunset.

After dinner we wandered around the Treppenviertel and passed so many wonderfully cared for houses. The gardens were blooming and it was very still.

Lots of stairs.
Cute little houses.
Sorina was sad that we couldn't go to her favorite little café because it was closed. We decided to swing by it anyway and we were surprised that it was open! We crept up the stairs at Cafe Garten Schuldt and found it nearly empty. An elderly woman asked if she could help us and we said, sure, we'd like some cake and coffee.

It turns out she was owner. We sat on the terrace at a cozy table with ivy hanging around us. The view was so fantastic, I can't believe I don't have a picture to share. Andres and Sorina shared the story of the cafe while we had coffee (not me, of course!) and Kirschstreuselkuchen. The wife kept the cafe going during the war by brewing coffee that people would bring.

We then had to hurry over to Andreas' favorite bar that serves Jever on tap. Although Sorina and I are big fans of the popular summer drink Hugo, we decided to have an Aperol Spritz.


Hugos are very 2012, but we decided to have an Aperol Spritz.



After we finished our drinks, we took a quick stroll on the beach. We had to go as far as the sunken boat before turning around and calling it a night.

Not bad for a Wednesday night.

Tippytoe shot while in the wet sand.


A different, but equally beautiful, shot at night.

Here's the link to my first post about Blankenese.

No comments:

Post a Comment