This dreary "summer" weather is really starting to take its toll on me. It's not the end of the world when it rains while I'm working, but weeknights and weekends are making me stir crazy. I think what drives me nuts it the shear unpredictability of the weather.
I am constantly over or under dressed and always lugging around an umbrella. A friend posted the shared the below picture on Facebook via Innocent drinks. It's very similar to my experience, except that it would include even more rain.
Last Friday, it rained quite a bit in the afternoon. Thankfully, it waited until after I collected some food for lunch. It makes for a long afternoon as you stare out the window wondering if and when the waterworks will stop. Unfortunately, I also spent the day will a little chill as I wore a dress to (over)compensate for wearing dark jeans the previous very uncomfortable day.
Naturally, it often rains on days that I plan to run or walk in the evening. Friday was such a day. The rain not only plays with your emotions but also your motivation. For my walk home, I decided to change things up and walk a different way. I could see the rain ahead of me, so I pulled out my umbrella.
Strangely enough, even though I could see the rain, I never caught up to it. It was one of the most unusual experiences. I was literally walking behind a rain cloud. I remember one time a child when it rained in the front yard but not the back yard. Someone I know saw a giant dark raincloud fixate over a Walmart and nothing else. Weather is a fascinating beast.
After my exciting walk home, I was depleted of desire to head back outside into the crazy weather, so I ditched my work out plans for pizza, Olympics, and cleaning. Crazy Friday night, I know. But it did allow me to get up early on Saturday and make my way around the lake while the weather was pleasant.
And then at noon, the skies opened up. Hard core. Thunder and lightning and the works. Even though we get a lot of rain here, it tends to be steady and not stormy. The last week or so has thrown that observation out the window. I was so glad I was inside reading. But 15 minutes later the weather way fine again.
I made my way out with my jacket, a light sweater, a scarf, and umbrella (yes, it's August). By the time I made it to the train station for my lunch date, I was hot and sweaty. The weather stayed gorgeous as the Gay Pride Parade partied to Lady Gaga and beautiful drag queens traipsed around in towering heels. It was a great day.
Next, I found myself cozied up in a cafe for an afternoon hot chocolate (yep, till August). After 15 minutes, the sky reopened. I immediately felt concerned for all of the feathers and glitter that were surely soaked and smeared. And the poor patrons not seated directly beneath the overhang found themselves scurrying toward the center with their lunches in tow.
And then it was gone again. And then it was back, in sun shower form.
It was one of those 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off, it's kind of
raining, it's kind of misting sort of days. Umbrella use was borderline,
but I opted to keep mine open.
Needless to say, the weather has been a really annoying adventure. I'm really ready for "summer" to just be over so I can slip into my Fall boots.

No comments:
Post a Comment