30 November 2012

The Cinnamon Bear

I am bringing you this Christmas tradition one day late, but it's not too late to start. While I was living in Vienna, Austria, my best friend and roommate, Liz, welcomed me into the world of Paddy O'Cinnamon.

The Cinnamon Bear was first broadcasted on the radio in Portland, Oregon on November 29, 1937. There are 24 10-minute episodes leading up until Christmas Eve.

The episodes can be found here along with brief descriptions of the episodes and the characters you will meet:

The Cinnamon Bear chronicles the adventures of Judy and Jimmy, and their fantastic trip through Maybeland as they search for the missing Silver Star that belongs atop their Christmas tree.
[...] the cast of characters and the exotic locales: the Root Beer Ocean and the Inkaboos, the Wintergreen Witch, the Looking Glass Valley, the Crazy Quilt Dragon. And, of course, I loved Santa Claus and the North Pole.

In the image-driven society that we live in today, it's a great 10-minute a day escape into a world of make-believe where you really have to use your imagination to picture the Wishing Woods or the Grand Wonky. But that's just my opinion.

Liz and I used to listen to our daily story in the evening while we skyped with her fiancé during his lunch break. It was a unique little bond we had despite the 9-hour time difference.

Some years prove more difficult to keep up with the stories, but having to listen to more than one episode a day is not the worst thing in the world.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment