31 July 2012

Miniatur Wunderland Hamburg - Modellbau Modelleisenbahn

A few months ago, I finally made my way to the model train museum. And now, I am finally telling you about it.


 This train museum is actually one of the few attractions that people seem to know about Hamburg. I definitely didn't know about it before coming here, but it's a must-see. I remember when my grandpa used to have a model train set. It was so much fun as a child...and to see a model train set about 200 times bigger about 20 years older is still just as cool. It is well worth the 12 EUR adult admission. You will spend many hours here.



The world's largest model railroad exhibit is continuously a work in progress and is slated to grow through 2020. As of January 2011, it had over 39,000 feet of track as the trains make their way through Scandavia, the Alps, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, and America. In addition to the trains, there is also an airport - the world's largest model airport. It is incredibly neat and pictures don't do it justice (so you won't find any here).

Another favorite part which I didn't capture on film was the Lindt museum. In real life, I never got to go as it was closed on the day I tried to visit, but this almost made up for it. It came with a real chocolate sample!

One big tip I would offer is that you should pick up a German brochure even if you don't speak German. The German brochure offers a fun list of things to search for throughout the exhibit -- the English version does not. It seemed like an overwhelming task at first, but I was stoked to find about half of the hidden people. I was able to find Pippi Longstocking, a pair of lovers (for real...naked...in the woods...), a mummy, a dinosaur, and much, much more.

The details are just fabulous and you can tell how much effort and passion went into a project like this. Actually, do yourself a favor and watch this video before continuing.

Despite it taking me this long to post about it (cough*May*cough), I think the best way to view it is by sight. And now, for your viewing pleasure...

Dom - amusement park in Hamburg that happens a few times a year.

HSV soccer stadium in Hamburg

Harbor in Hamburg

This is a version of Bingo where the winner is determined by which quadrant the cow poops in.

Vegas, baby!

Bridge shot. There's a special place to put your camera to get the perspective.


KFC, duh.

Look familiar? It's the train museum!

The bridge from afar.

Boat on the water.

And now we're in Sweden.

See, there's Pippi Longstocking!

Bethlehem?


Ice hotel.

I think this Finland?


Kensington palace garden??

Snowman skiing down the ski jump!

I want to say this is Switzerland

May Fest

See Superman flying?

Big concert.

Some volleyball for Stephen.

Dixi Klos...I mean Port-o-Potties...

Another tip is to book a reservation in advance. You don't have to pay ahead of time, but you can skip the long line.

1 comment:

  1. This is a must see for anyone visiting Hamburg. It's interesting for people of all ages.

    ReplyDelete