Summer seems to have gone as quickly as it came. Last Monday through Friday really felt like summer. The weather jumped from rainy and in the 60s to sunny and in the 80s. It was almost a bit too much. But I, and everyone else, took full advantage. Everyone had a new wardrobe, people made plans to meet up and sit outside, last-minute vacations took place, and everyone seemed just a bit happier.
Sadly, sundresses and sandals are already a thing of the past. Friday night turned from the hottest day of the week, to the start of a very wet weekend. I was not the only person caught by surprise and without an umbrella. Fortunately, I just made it the subway station as the sky opened, but I don't think I've ever seen to many people caught in the rain in such a bad way. The storm didn't last long, but it was enough to cause damage to hairdos and clothes.
Unfortunately, I was caught in a similar storm early Sunday evening. It's probably my best (worst?) example of being caught in the rain. I was absolutely soaked. Long pony-tailed head to dirt-soaked toes. Gross. I went from drinking Hugos in the sun to desperately wanting a hot coco and a fireplace.
One semi-positive about the turn in weather was the ability to use the oven again. The negative part came when I burned my hand on the oven. The top of my hand has a little blister, but I followed all of the rules for a burn and am hoping it won't leave a mark for too long.
One weekend highlight was seeing The Dark Knight Rises in original version (aka English!). I went to a 23:10 showing which is definitely the lastest I've ever started a movie in a theater. I struggle with movies past 20:00, but this one kept my attention. I was with two non-native English speakers and couldn't wait to ask what they thought of Bane's voice. It sounds like I was not the only one having trouble understanding some of his lines.
Of course, I feel really lame that I was watching Batman while my friend was getting married (congrats, D!), but it was better than being sad that I wasn't there to celebrate.
Stay tuned to see if summer returns (rises?)...
***
So I wrote this during the first part of my lunch break...wouldn't you know I just came back from picking up food and am now half wet. At least I had my raincoat on this time. If only I had my rain boots or some rain pants.
You need your wellies there!
ReplyDeleteohh I just saw The Dark Knight Rises too! I also had trouble understanding Bane...but overall enjoyed the movie!
ReplyDelete