06 July 2012

It's My 100th Post and All You Get Is a Hummel


File:Hummel und spitzwegerich.jpg

I am easing myself back into my solo routine after a glorious 18 days with my mom and grandma. And part of that process is getting back to the blog to share my wonderful stories. I never promised they would all be exciting stories.

Hamburg is not experiencing any of the heat that Chicago is, but we did reach the mid 70s today. This meant open windows at the office for a nice breeze. While alone in my area, I suddenly heard a large buzzing sound. I watched as an enormous insect came flying though the window. He was practically the size of a small bird and flew around in circles a bit before landing on a Disney Princess book which quieted him down a bit.

I simply observed from a safe distance. I don't really have a fear of bees, but, let's be realistic, I'm not going to instigate an encounter. While waiting for my colleague to come back in the room, I doubled checked the word for wasp in the dictionary so I could give a fair warning. However, my knowledge of flying stingers is slightly worse than my knowledge of their names auf Deutsch.

I knew it wasn't a plain old bee, eine Biene, so I assumed it was a wasp, eine Wespe. Well, the word of the day is die Hummel, a bumblebee (or bumble-bee). Once we knew what he was, we carefully directed him back out the window.

I hope the rest of your day is bumblebee free.

3 comments:

  1. I always knew there was a good buzz at your office.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one kja!
    That's one downside of no screens in the windows over there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS: it worked from Chrome. I guess it's bye bye Firefox. but I still need to type in those words.

    ReplyDelete