I am currently really into this song by Brooke Fraser called Something in the Water. It's on the radio a lot and GEMA even lets me watch it on Youtube. I wonder if there's something in the water because today I ran for 49 minutes straight. And I really dislike running. But lately, I've been going running about once a week after work. And by running I mean I might run for 15 or 20 minutes and then walk the rest of the way. Or I would do semi interval training where I'd run for three songs, walk a bunch, then run for a (good) song, then walk again.
But this morning, I woke up, headed over to the Alster Lake and started running. I figured I'd do the normal 20 minutes or so, but then I thought about my core group of girlfriends running a half-marathon in Indy today, and I decided I'd run at least 30 minutes in their honor. However, once I hit 30, I thought, "Why not 40?" And then I realized I was getting pretty close to going around the 7.4km lake (approx. 4.5 miles). Then I gave myself a new goal of hitting one of the many bridges. Naturally, once there, I figured I should just run all the way around. I almost passed my starting spot (possibly because I was distracted by what I thought was a professional soccer team but turned out to be a professional handball team) and I think I probably could have gone a little bit further if I really wanted to.
Even though I played basketball and soccer for many years, I think it's quite possible that this the longest stretch I've ever run without stopping. Strangely, I was always in my cardio shape during golf season. I don't plan on this becoming a regular thing and I can pretty much guarantee you'll never see me run an actual race, but today was a great day for a run!
I seriously respect all those runners out there.
No comments:
Post a Comment