A few weeks back, I stumbled across a group for international women in Hamburg and my only regret is that I didn't find it sooner. Of course, I couldn't attend the first couple of events, but last night set the bar very high. I didn't even think twice about missing Germany's Next Topmodel (not Top Model). Not only did I meet some great women from the UK, Canada, US, and Germany, but I also got to check out a new and very modern locale in Hafen City.
Our group dominated a large corner of LaBaracca. It's similar to Vapiano in that you receive a credit-card-sized card on your way in and all of your purchases are added to the card to may for easy payment on the way out. But LaBaracca takes it one step further--touch-screen tablet menus. You could order everything from salad, pizza, wine, water, or furniture (yes) and it would be brought out to by a waiter. I'm not quite sure how the furniture delivery works though. The portions were small, but manageable and they recommended that you only order one dish at a time.
I ordered my first glass of wine at the table, but decided to try the wine-bar-dispenser-thing for my second glass. For this option, you grab a clean class, select your wine, and choose your portion. You simply wave your card and place your empty glass under the spout while you magically receive your pre-selected amount of wine. Choices range from a "taste" to 1c to 2c and the tastes only cost between 40¢ and 70¢.
While I immensely enjoyed my wine and the ordering process, I also had some great company. I laughed in a way that made me realize how much I needed a evening of laughter. We had a nice little group and the whole evening was very comfortable. It was a nice change of pace from the "what's your name, where are you from, why are you here, how long have you been here?" game. Of course, we had to play that game a little, but we moved past it very quickly. I borrowed a picture from the organizer, do you recognize the side of my head?
And there was only one broken wine glass. (Not me!) I can't wait until the next event. And I can't wait to go back to LaBaracca.

That place looks awesome! Glad you discovered a new group to hang with too!
ReplyDelete