19 April 2013

Random Act of Poetry

Happy Poetry Month!

Here's my random act of poetry for 2013. (Here's 2012's in case you want a refresher. Also, I can't remember if it's supposed to be an act or an attack? This year I will stick with act given what we've all experienced this week.) This year I'm sharing two poems I wrote back in college inspired (and fictionalized...) by high school events.

Babe the Fetal Pig

He watched her twirl reddish-brown
hair around her French-tipped fingers until Ms. Jackson set
the limp fetus on their lab table.
It looked so peaceful--
he hated to rearrange the
insides, but she dug
right in. His gaze turned
from her to the blue veins and red,
sure to cut
with precision. A dangerous combination
of hormones and scalpels. Extra credit
for removing the brain the quickest, no
cracks. He didn't need the extra points,
but she needed to preserve perfection.
She ripped out the large intestine, placed it in his exposed
palm and walked away from him until it
was completely unrolled. He wanted her to feel
something when it didn't fit back inside.
Maybe that's why it hurt so
much when she sliced
the heart, squirting formaldehyde
into his rose-flecked eye.


Early Morning Scrimmages

Boys always the captains,
Girls always chosen last.

Shirts versus skins,
We girls played out hearts out,
Wanting the glory of a win.

Then he was coming straight at me.
Faked left -- I didn't buy it.
Faked again -- I didn't back away.

But went hard for the ball
And knocked him over,
Making sure I stepped on his sore ankle.

All he could do was watch
As I took the ball and scored.
Oh the grin on his face.

I think he liked me too.

Thanks for reading :) I'm waiting to be struck with new inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment