30 April 2013

Coping with the Weather in Hamburg

I stayed inside this day.
In honor of my six-month anniversary of "splurging" on a second winter coat, I can firmly say it was well worth it because I am still wearing it! SIX MONTHS! 

I wrote this with another intent, but it hasn't been used yet, so I would like to share it with you!

Here's hoping for a non-cold May...

While Hamburg is one of the most beautiful cities I’ve seen, the weather can really make or break your day. After experiencing the wettest and most pale 1.5 years of my life, this Chicago girl has it down to two major tips for surviving the weather: be prepared and embrace it.

  • RegenRadar is a free app for Android and iPhones. This service will show you any precipitation that may be heading your way. It refreshes in 15-minute increments, so if you suddenly notice a big, blue blob of rain coming your way, run for cover! You can also check the radar via the computer: http://www.wetteronline.de/radar.htm.
  • Boots are both practical and fashionable. They offer protection from the elements while complementing your skinny jeans. Any type of closed shoe, and probably a flat shoe if you don’t travel by car, will serve you well between October and April. A pair of rain boots is also a justifiable expense.
  • Coats are essential and you can never have too many. Hamburg weather will make sure you get your moneys worth. My spring coat turned into a summer and fall coat. My winter coat lining ripped days into its second season due to so much action. Because you’ll be spending so much time in a coat, don’t be afraid to go for a bold color or to splurge a little. I’ve starting spending more on coats and buying fewer clothes because I spend so much more time in a coat!
  • Umbrellas are an accessory you just need to get used to carrying. The weather can change from the time you peek out your fifth story walk-up until you reach the street. You’ll need a sturdy German umbrella. I broke my first umbrella on day three. I recommend carrying a small umbrella in your purse at all times. Opt for the heavy duty large umbrella only when you really need it.
  • Scarves are similar to boots in that they are both functional and stylish. A scarf can jazz up your outfit, but it can also protect your blow-dried hair from a misty rain or keep your shoulders warm after the sun sets on a summer night. If you get warm, you can always tie it to your purse and stuff it inside without extra bulkiness or weight.
  • Plans should be made, but not too far in advance. I am a big planner, but I’ve learned that the weather doesn’t respect one’s datebook. If you want to plan a picnic or an outing to the zoo, it’s best to wait until a few days before the event before you firm up your plans unless they are taking place inside. But a Plan B will never hurt.
  • Spontaneity is also important, however. When the Alster Lake freezes, it take only a couple of days for one million people to gather for the Alstervergnügen to celebrate the frozen lake. If you peek outside your window and see the sun, take a break from studying or use your lunch hour to get at least 15 minutes of sunlight.
  • Favorite destinations are a must whether you frequent them planned or spontaneously. Perhaps a bike ride around the Alster, a visit to Planten un Blomen, or meeting a friend for Kaffee und Kuchen at your regular café. On cold or rainy days, it will force you to go outside, and on warm and sunny days it will give you a comforting place to idle away the time before you have to return home.

4 comments:

  1. You can never have enough coats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe this is where I get it from and why the front hall closet is full BEFORE guests come over... :)

      Delete
  2. OMG! it worked from my computer!

    ReplyDelete