And you could tell.World Cup 2014 qualification games have already started and the Austrians came out playing really well. They dominated most of the first half before the Germans scored in the 44th minute. The Germans played much better the second half, but still had some lapses into lackluster playing. They scored on a penalty kick before Austria came back with a goal of their own.
To be honest, Germany got pretty lucky as Austria easily could have won the game. I think the Germans didn't play with an much heart as they needed and played down to Austria's level.
Even though a lot of Austrian players play in the German soccer leagues, they have just never been a big player when it comes to the World Cup or Euro Cup.
I do have to admit that it is really exciting to be watching qualification matches for the World Cup. It's hard to follow soccer in the US, unless you are extremely dedicated, outside of the two weeks of the actual Word Cup.
Last Friday, for the first game, Germany played a country I had never even heard of before. So not only did I get to watch soccer, but I learned a little geography on the way.
Have you heard of the Faroe Islands (Färöer Inseln)?
No comments:
Post a Comment