17 September 2012

Conversations with German Children

A few weeks ago, I maneauvered my way down the stairs of my apartment building on my way to the grocer store. Peering over the railing, I could see a little boy staring back at me. I smiled. He kept staring. I said, "Hallo!" He remained in the staring position.

We passed each other. I said, "Tschüss!" He stared some more and I kept on walking.

And then suddenly, he spoke: "Wir kriegen einen neuen Kühlschrank." (We're getting a new refrigerator."

"Cool!" I said. "Viel Spaß!" (Cool! Have fun!)

End.

You see, I love conversing with children, but I find it terrifying in another language. I think I'm most concerned that I will be corrected by a child and secondly concerned that I will inadvertently be responsible for them learning incorrect German vocab or grammar. I'm probably over thinking it.

And today on my walk to work, I came across some neon yellow shoe prints that were part of a freshly painted path leading to the elementary school. As I neared, some young girls sprinted past me and yelled out, "Das hier ist Kunstwerk!" (This is a work of art!).

I laughed and made sure not to step on the art.

2 comments:

  1. Kids are less judgmental than adults and way more fun to talk to! Don't you think you are doing him a service, as he learns to speak to someone who might have an "accent"? You might even learn something from him. Or maybe he wants to learn some English with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SO cute! I love the random things that kids say and yes, I think kids think it's funny when someone doesn't know their language. They're like, "but there's no way an adult can't understand me!" I remember visiting my Italian family years ago and my 8 year old cousin would talk away to me the whole time in Italian assuming I understood. And then she made me watch "the Little Mermaid" aka "La Sirenetta" in Italian! Kids are hilarious. :)

    ReplyDelete