07 March 2012

How do I get out?

Now that the weather has started to warm up and the sun makes occasional, longer appearances, I've resumed my post-work walks. I mostly stick to the neighborhood and/or bus route.

On yesterday's walk, I came across a store at which I don't normally shop, but was curious to check out as it's one of the stores that buys our books.

I popped in. I looked around. It was all fun and games until I tried to leave. I couldn't get out. Once I realized this, I kind of looped around the store a second time while contemplating my escape.

As there was only one register open, everyone waiting in line has the pleasure of watching me squirm. I tried to open one of the gates blocking my exit - no dice. I looked hopefully at the people in line. Nothing. I briefly considered making a purchase so I didn't feel so silly.

But, finally, I asked the cashier, "How do I get out??"

Just then they were opening a second line, so she said just to go out that way. I still required some help from the first gentleman in line, but I bolted once I was freed.

I think this has officially dissuaded me from entering stores in which I have no intentions of making a purchase -- unless I can determine a painless exit that doesn't require a purchase.

Perhaps this is American-thinking that I was just going in "to look"?

No comments:

Post a Comment