23 January 2013

Doing Your Own Thing

image source
As I'm gearing up for the last year of my 20s, I think it's more important than ever to remind myself that everyone has different paths in life. There is no right or wrong.

I struggled with this concept in my early 20s, as I suspect many do. Up until you graduate high school, everyone makes similar choices and leads relatively similar lives. Even though you each might play a different instrument, learn a different language, join a different team, or enroll in various courses, most people's lives are relatively similar.

Where I come from, most everyone went on to college. That's where it started to get sticky. People studying business or nursing or English started to separate as they had different responsibilities and tasks and goals.

Once collage graduation started lurking around the corner, people's lives took serious turns from one another. Some went right on to complete a Master's degree. Some started a fancy job. Some married high school sweethearts and moved back home. Others moved overseas for various programs or experiences. You couldn't really compare yourself to others to know where you should be in life or what the logical next step would be.

There is no logical step. There's no looming target date by which to make those decisions.

I moved to to Vienna, Austria after college graduation and taught English for two years. I filled my passport with stamps and my life with great memories.

But when I returned home, most of my friends were graduating with second degrees and moving out on their own. Some even buying their own houses. Some were planning weddings.

Not me. I was two years behind. It was tough.

And now I'm living in Germany. I am so happy with my decision and know this is where I am supposed to be right now. But every now and then, in the very back of my head, I get concerned that I am falling behind again. Those friends with houses and engagement rings now have marriages and babies. And dogs. And more degrees. And nieces and nephews. And a clearer idea of how their lives will look in five or ten years?

But it's ok.

I think we all know that life doesn't always go according to plan -- sometimes it's better.

No comments:

Post a Comment