09 January 2013

American Beds and Showers

During my trip home, a few things surprised me. One of them was that, aside from people and pets, what I missed most was my bed and shower. Even more than my favorite foods and stores and beloved car. I'll revisit my other thoughts later, but for now: beds and showers.

Perhaps like everything else in America, it's because they are "bigger and better"? Mostly it caught me off guard. I had no idea how much I was missing my queen mattress from Costco (mattresses are just around the corner from the caskets...) along with my pillows. Plus, the height. No box springs over here. Jetlag aside, I slept deeply and soundly in my American  bed. Familiarity? Not sure. I'm rather familiar with my current German bed which is by no means awful.

On the shower front, I'm hesitant to say I felt cleaner...but I think I did. Plus, my parents did some remodeling while I away and I felt like I was in a hotel. Let's just say it was a rude-awakening when my first full week back in Germany started with a new less-than-desirable energy-efficient shower-head and cold water.

I just need to find a way to combine the best parts of Germany and the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment