Over the weekend, we experienced some high quality, highly unusual October weather. I spent a lot of time outdoors trying to soak up as much sun as I could to last me through winter. I ran/walked the lake and staked out spots in my favorite gardens and parks.
As a bonus, I got to see a part of Planten un Blomen that I didn't know existed. Well, I think deep down I knew it existed, but I partially forgot and partially didn't want to mess with a good thing.
We found an empty bench near a pond that was filled with creatures. I noticed some white birds that I hadn't really seen around Hamburg before.
I asked what they were.
"Seagulls? "
"Möve."
"Seagulls?"
"I don't know, maybe."
I pulled out my iPhone and plugged it in the dictionary just to be sure. I immediately knew something was wrong.
"Ummm, is this how you spell it? That's not a bird," I said passing over the device.
"No! It's with a V not an S."
I retyped and "(sea)gulls" popped up.
"You could have just said it rhymed with Löwe (lion)."
"Well, now you learned two new words."
Yes, the word for the "seagull" and one of the most offensive words in the English language.
Thank goodness this didn't happen at work.

No comments:
Post a Comment