I started the process at the beginning of September -- Labor Day to be exact. I followed all the directions on this website and then played the waiting game. I sent my request for a ballot as a pdf via email and I also had my mom print it out and drop it in the mail with the special envelope provided -- as indicated on the website.
After hearing nothing, I called the Chicago office at the beginning of October. Of course, they had no record of me trying to vote abroad. So, I faxed in my request. Then I waited and waited some more. I started trying to convince myself that it didn't really matter if I voted because we all know that IL is a blue state -- so either way, it wouldn't appear to matter.
Then, last week, I felt the urge to check my spam folder. (This tends to happen after I've sent out a lot of emails without receiving responses...)
There was my ballot. Just sitting there, not knowing it wasn't spam. I suddenly got very nervous and started rethinking my voting plans. But, I forged on and completed my ballot last Tuesday.
The post office was already closed for the day, so I just prepped the envelope by addressing it and signing the oath that needed to be taped on the back.
Wednesday, I happened to be having dinner with a friend (at an American-styled diner) when a man approached our table.
"Did I overhear that one of you has an American passport?"
"Yes."
"I don't mean to be rude, but did you vote?"
"I did, in fact. Yesterday. I just need to mail it out tomorrow."
"OK, good. Don't forget!"
I was glad (felt proud?) that I was able to say I had voted. <sigh>
Thursday and Friday both ended up being one of those days where I knew I had something I wanted to do, but couldn't put my finger on it. So, Saturday was the day my ballot started it's return to the US. And it only cost me 3,45 EUR. Which is approximately $5 more than I've spent to vote before.
After leaving the post office, I went directly to the grocery store to finish my errands for the day: returning bottles. And guess the amount returned to me? Yes, 3,45 EUR.
Not bad.
No comments:
Post a Comment