Arnie came to the Frankfurt Book Fair to promote his new book Total Recall. In case you missed last year's recap, it's the biggest book fair in the world.
I arrived on Wednesday and was pumped. There's an excitement in the air and since I wasn't affected by jet lag, maybe just a tinge of train lag, I was ready to move and walk around.
Our stand is in the large international hall, which also happens to be at the far end of the complex. After some greetings and salutations with my colleagues, and some sustenance, I headed out to wander through the other halls and stands.
Since I was a little bolder than last year and had more of an idea of what I was looking for and at, I visiting two other halls on the way to the German hall which was of the most interest for me.
As I was nearing the German hall, I noticed a small group of people gathering at a window. Through the window I saw a black car pull away from a barricaded zone. It seemed like a VIP getaway but I wasn't sure. (In German) I asked some older ladies who just left.
"Arnold Schwarzenegger."
Oh. That would have been cool to see. If only I had been walking a smidge faster. At least I could tell people I almost saw Arnold.
Then I moved my focus back to Hall 3.0 - the German hall. Once I entered, I immediately noticed that the people were taller and, in a few instances, a little smellier. Plus, instead of serving chocolate or candies during meetings, they were serving Wurst with mustard.
I made my way all the way to the right to start the maze of a walk through the hall. What's the first thing I see? A stand with numerous copies of Arnold's book (the German translation) and some giant copies of book as extra decor. It looked like people were forming a line and there were a few photographers standing around. By maneuvering around the small group of people, I was able to learn that Arnie was coming, but no one was exactly sure what time he'd arrive.
I didn't really have time to stand around (and I wouldn't have), so I continued my loop on to my destinations. By the time I made my way back down the row, there were noticeably more people waiting for Arnold.
Now, I'm not really one for celebs. I've never really met any celebrities (to my Austrian students dismay) and if I did I'm sure I wouldn't go up to them or take a picture of ask for an autograph. I mean, what do you do with it? Post it to Facebook to show off? Not my style.
However, I am an Arnold fan. I'm an Arnold fan in the same way I'm a Tiger fan. I'm still upset by their personal choices, but it doesn't change what they have accomplished professionally.
I kept making my way through the German hall (you know, working) and sneaked a pick at the line situation whenever I hit that row. By now, I had seen all I needed to see in the German hall and I made one last loop by the swamped Arnold stand. He was supposed to arrive in about 15 minutes.
That's about how long I'd have to wait in line for the ladies room, so I figured it was safe to wait it out. I snagged a spot against the wall of another stand and was elated when a very short German (so unusual) stood in front of me. I secured my spot just as the security detail started rerouting people. It was great to see how frustrated people were getting. Great in the way, that most people didn't care who was coming and rolled their eyes that they couldn't walk down the row because of "him".
Less than 15 minutes later (a VIP arriving early? Only in the German hall...) Arnold strutted in wearing a suit and red tie and was surrounded by his entourage. I got a great look as I didn't see the need to try and take a bad picture like everyone else around me.
The thoughts that went through my head:
1. He's not that tall. My dad is way taller. ("Who is your father and what does he do?"
2. He is looking much older than his book cover.
3. Is he really smiling or is it a fake smile? He had a pretty big smile on his face, which was nice to see.
So, basically, I saw him for about six seconds and then I walked as quickly as possible the opposite direction. All I really wanted to know was how tall he was compared to my dad. I was in and out.
And that is the story of the time I saw Arnie aka the Terminator aka the Governator and soon to be Educator. Apparently his next step is as a professor at his newly founded academy.
Hasta la vista, baby.

That is very exciting. Cute story.
ReplyDelete