04 April 2012

The €2,00 Apple

OK, actually it was €1,99. But it was really only 37¢. Even if I bring something for lunch, I usually end up at the grocery store at lunch for supplementary sustenance like yogurt or fruit. Or chocolate. This means I'm also pretty familiar with the people who are stocking the shelves, serving up meat at the deli counter, and ringing up our totals.

I chose the shortest line as usual and noticed that it was a new face working the register. I didn't think anything of it until I realized she wanted to charge me 1,99 for ONE apple instead of 1,99 per kilo. Since tax is already included, it's pretty easy to have your payment ready at the counter as long as you can do basic math. Since an apple is usually around 40¢ I knew I was looking at 2 Euros and some pennies with my yogurt and cookies-that-looked-like-Thin-Mints-but-totally-weren't.

When the total came to €3,87 I was severely confused. I asked how much the apple was. One-ninety-nine. That can't be right. That's 1,99 per kilo. There was a little of confusion that I, as always, contribute to my German skills, but I'm pretty sure if came from her side as maybe this was the first apple ring-up of her career?

Eventually, another cashier has to come over and help and bring a special key. Naturally, the line is getting longer behind me.

Then the new total. €3,87.

That's not right. You're telling me that this one apple is 1,99?. Ah ok, now it's 37¢.

My new actual total of 2,05 was much better. Unfortunately, this caused some duress on my part, so I promptly opened up my fake Thin Mints and continued to eat 2/3 of the box. It's a good thing cookie boxes are a smidge smaller over here.

And I haven't even eaten the apple. Yet.

2 comments:

  1. I'm dying to know... what day did you eat the apple?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ate it the next day...immediately after writing this post :)

    ReplyDelete