
When my mom was 16, she spent the summer in Germany with cousins. One of my favorite stories of her time there was when they went to the movie theater. Someone asked her what they saw and she answered, "Kino". That's the word for movie theater. So cute.
Last night, I went to the Kino. I met up with Wiebke and her friend Hanne. First we met for a quick bite to eat and to catch up on what we've been up to for the last month or so. Hanne picked up our tickets on Saturday, so we had great seats. Reserved seating: 1 point to Germany. Not only is the cost of your seat dependent on where you sit, but you're guaranteed a seat. I couldn't have picked the seats better myself. We were in the center about three rows from the top. And they were only 6,50 EUR.
I didn't visit the snack counter, but this is what I learned. Popcorn is more on the sweet side vs salty. (Sorry, Mom!) They really push ice cream. If I hadn't eaten so much (or made a huge dent in my chocolate drawer...) I would have totally been all over the ice cream.
The film we saw was called "Rubbeldiekatz". It's a German film, but it was an interesting surprise that there was a little bit of English thrown in. If my memory serves correctly, this is actually the first German movie I've seen in the theater. I've seen some dubbed movies (not recommended) but no original German on the big screen. I was sightly nervous that it would go completely over my head, but I couldn't stop laughing!
As a person who doesn't actually go to the movies a lot (it has to be a really good one!), it might have even been the best theater-going experience in my life. I laughed a lot. The people around me laughed a lot. It was a hit.
By now you're probably wondering what this film was about. First, let me say that I'm not usually thrilled with movies that feature men dressing up as women. However, this one worked. It's a story about an actor who ends up being cast in a film as a woman. As in they don't know he's a man. Naturally, he falls in love with his costar, who he actually met (as a man) before the movie. But, of course, the costar doesn't realize he's a man and befriends him as a girlfriend. The film they star in is, naturally, a Nazi-era film. This served up some extra funny.
Apparently, the English translation of the movie is "Woman in Love", but I'm not sure if you'll find it anywhere. I highly recommend it though. On the movie poster, the "woman" in the center is actually the guy on the left. He made a pretty good female, I'd have to say.
Can't wait for my next trip to the Kino.
And what does Rubbel die Katz mean exactly?
ReplyDelete