Last Saturday, I was one of the estimated 6,500 people who wore (nearly) head-to-toe white and attended the 4th annual Weißes Dinner Hamburg (White Dinner). The tradition started in Paris in 1988 and was called Dîner en blanc. Since then it has grown and spread around the world. Because it's growing so popular in Hamburg, starting next year each district will host its own dinner on the same day instead of one large group in one location.
It's basically a chic outdoor picnic where white is the major theme. Real dishware and stemware are packed along with tablecloths and vases and candelabras. Beautiful white dresses and fascinators and sunglasses and gloves and all kinds of accessories are saved and collected throughout the year and saved for this event. It's a free event and everyone brings their own chairs, tables, and food. The event officially started at 17:00 and went until midnight, but many people were there early to stake out a good spot and complete set-up.
It's something I've had my eye on since last year, so I was glad I was able to go this year. I even brought my white pants back to Germany for the occasion. Alisa, EJ, and I decided to only semi-participate in that we didn't go full out and procure tables and chairs. (Who wants to lug that stuff around on the U-bahn? I saw some people doing it and they were 1) men or 2) didn't look happy.) We collected a few white blankets and found some steps to sit on. We also decided to each just bring our own food and drink and planned to only stay for the first couple of hours.
It was wonderful to see how creative and passionate so many people were to the theme and event. I loved walking down the rows of people to see how unique each table setup was. There were groups of couples, groups of girlfriends, romantic twosomes, and some very cute babies decked out in white.
This year's location was a little unusual, in my opinion, because it was quite spread out and everyone was a bit segregated. I expected a giant open field of white, but we sort of made an outline instead. It did make for some great photos though. And, since we were near the train station, a lot of incoming and outgoing trains stopped for a look or honked -- and thousands of us waved back with our white tissues in the air.
My only complaint was that mid-way through our stay, Alisa (not me!) noticed that my back was all wet. And then shortly thereafter we discovered that our blanket was also a little wet and my bag of non-white clothes to change into and jacket and scarf for when the weather turned were also soaking wet. Thankfully, I believe it was just water. It was obviously an accident and it looked like it was coming down the steps from a mysterious (abandoned) location, so the people responsible probably had no idea this would happen, but...why me?!? :) I'm mostly just confused and curious. I mean, how do you not noticed you're learning against water, sitting on water, surrounded by water.
We left before it got dark (it was getting cold!), but at 21:30 everyone lit their Wunderkerzen (sparklers) simultaneously. All in all, it was fun to attend such a classy and glamorous picnic. I recommend trying to find a white dinner near you next year or plan your own!
| I brought grapes, Lindt white chocolate, and Raffaellos. |
| Waving to the train |
| The steps we staked out |
| Alisa took a picture from the train on her way home. |
| Lovely pic from EJ |
| My "classy" glass of wine was more of the convenient variety. |
![]() |
| image source |
You can see me and my friends at the beginning around the 11-12 second mark! And I know Merret who they follow in the video.
http://mediacenter.dw.de/english/video/?programm=7555&topic
More pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.576913835681043.1073741827.200337526672011&type=1
http://www.hamburg.de/strassenfest/2454292/weisses-dinner.html

That is quite an event! I love this idea and would love to participate in it. Does it have anything to do with the waning days of summer? It must have been closer to the harbor. I'm surprised they wouldn't do something like this at the lake. Fun Fun!!
ReplyDelete