12 August 2013

Little Luxuries


The difference is more noticeable in real life.
For some reason I have been making a quick and easy post about Q-tips a really complicated one. I think it's because, strangely, I can find a lot of meaning hidden below the surface. However, I'm not sure it's worth explaining or analyzing.

Let's go with:

You already know about my disapproval of "Q-tips", but I have actually learned to live with them. As your expat years add up, you learn what you can live without. Many foods and cosmetics have made this crossover for me.

But when your sister visits and asks if you want to keep anything of hers (besides a really cute necklace from Mom which could be replaced!) and you shyly grin and your eyes expand with anticipation while requesting a travel pack of Q-tips -- then you probably aren't actually over the American variety.

On the other hand, life is also about little luxuries. I look at the two types of Q-tips almost daily and most often reach for the thin pink ones until I remember that life is too short to use mediocre cotton swabs.

No comments:

Post a Comment