26 January 2015

Canned Pumpkin Inventory (post season)

Canned pumpkin (Libby's!) is a hot commodity in Germany. It's not something you can normally buy in this country and you will get strange looks if you ask*. You can tell there's a new American in town when this question comes up. The American veterans do a little, "Oh, honey, <eyeroll>" type of reaction when someone wants to know where to buy it. The Ami vets also probably have their own stock at home in the pantry. I am one of those -- thanks to my sister. And the non-American (or really seasoned Americans will come at you with a whole lot of "it's so easy to just make your own. Buy a pumpkin, remove seeds, steam or boil it, and puree it"

Unfortunately, after a routine kitchen inventory stock take, I discovered that I have three cans -- one expiring in March and two in April. Part of the problem is that I did not have my annual pumpkin party last fall (Fall 2014 really consumed me).

Thankfully, one of my dear friends, who writes a pretty awesome blog, came to the rescue without even knowing it. She posted a recipe for pumpkin chocolate chip bread. Even better, I made a recent discovery that you can actually buy chocolate chips in Germany now. They are so very not the Nestle ones Americans know and love, but they work.

I was really happy with how the bread turned out and it's getting rave reviews -- mostly from me but I did also share a bit with neighbors and colleagues. I was nervous because it was my first foray with my new oven and I also tried a new loaf pan after struggling with a different pan for banana bread.



I froze the rest of the pumpkin and a bit of the batter (can you do this??) for a rainy day. Now I just need to find some more pumpkin recipes for the other two batches. Or I could try selling it* ;)

If you are in Hamburg, there is a rumor that you buy cans of Libby's at American Heritage or Kardstadt or Kaufhof Galeria.

*Make sure you don't buy picked pumpkin or something equally weird or gross ;)

**I won't actually be selling it but people totally do. Especially in the fall. So, if you ever plan a fall trip to Germany you know what to pack and sell on the black market...




No comments:

Post a Comment