If I thought I saw "Fußball Fieber" during the 2012 Euro Cup, I don't even know what to call this frenzy of the 2014 World Cup. You can buy anything and everything in black, red, and yellow. Really. From bobby pins to car accessories to M&Ms to pasta and more. I have been looking forward to celebrating since I moved here. I had only hoped I'd be here long enough to experience it.
What I didn't think about? The Brazilian location and the time difference. It's like I'm back in 2002 and waking up reallllly early in the morning to watch the games in South Korea and Japan. Except now we have to stay up late :( There also aren't as many public viewing being offered because of the noise factor.
Tonight, the opening whistle blows at 22:00. It will still be light out, but it's definitely a late start. Some of the US games are at midnight...doubt I'll be able to watch, but I may try. Thankfully, THE GAME I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR, Germany vs. USA on June 26, will play at 18:00. We've also moved out book club meeting to accommodate :) My German has already politely warned me that I need to cheer for Germany if I want to see him the rest of the summer...we'll see how my body naturally reacts! I am much more in-tune with the German team, despite my favorite player being injured in a friendly match last Friday. Gute Besserung Marco Reus!
At work, we are doing an online betting pool (no money! pride only!) with our offices in Spain and England.

Really? M&M's? Yes please!
ReplyDelete