06 December 2013

The Advent Season

At this rate, I am never going to catch up on sharing all of the wonderful things I've been experiencing lately. But I will continue to try!

I spent a lot of hours agonizing over my Advent calendar and my Advent wreath. Why? There are SO MANY CHOICES.

I wanted to make my own Advent wreath, but I ended up deciding just to buy a pre-made one. You can get one in any shape or size or color you want. Even the candle variety is overwhelming. You can even get a four-pack with different sized candles - very smart since the first candle burns more hours! 

My wreath and calendar

One of my colleagues has a party with her friends to decorate together. Guess what I want to do next year?!?

In terms of Advent calendars, I knew I wanted the chocolate variety. But even that leaves you with further choices in terms of brand or type of chocolate. Some of the more unique types of calendars I saw:

-Chocolate x 2 - one for you, one for your love
-Chocolate x 2 - one for daytime (without alcohol), one for nighttime (with alcohol)
-Tea
-Books
-Condoms

Plus, there's marzipan and gummy bears. Or you can have one made with your own picture.






I would have loved to make one, but it kind of defeats the point the make it for yourself. Element of surprise would lack greatly. My German didn't seem to want one, but made it clear to me that you're not really supposed to get one for your self. Oh? This further added to my dilemna, but he saved the day by gifting me one on Thanksgiving. In return, he's getting a BIG Nikolas chocolate for Dec 6.

Today is indeed St. Nicholas Day. I have already eaten one chocolate Christmas dude. This morning, St. Nick even made a stop outside my apartment and gave some homemade cookies (thanks, neighbor!). What a fun surprise. Good thing he still gave even though I forgot to leave my boots outside.

Today was also our first snow. It was actually in the form of a giant storm called Xavier, but we had a day filled with on an off blizzards. I learned that blizzards are a North American thing. Not even a German word. What we experienced today was actually an "Orkan" aka winter gale/winter storm/hurricane. The news even called it "Horrorkan" which I can best translate as "Snowmageddon" (flashback to my birthday almost three years ago).

Clearly this post was meant for last week...


2 comments:

  1. I love this blog. It's so you! I can only imagine the heart wrenching decisions you had to make to pick out the advent wreath, but it's lovely!! I would most certainly have a hard time picking out an Advent calendar and would probably buy 2. (One without for the morning and one with for the evening). Fröhliche Weinachten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have known the Germans thought about different sized candles...what haven't they thought of? Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete