| image source |
Unlike a majority of do-gooders, I don't generally broadcast my volunteering or good deeds. However, I am choosing to make an exception here.
A few weeks ago, a friend was in need of some extra hands for a volunteer gig. It was a win-win for me as I had been looking for a service activity and I needed something to fill my Saturday afternoon.
I remember when Emily Joy told me about this event last year and I thought it sounded very interesting. Via the Rotaract-Club (Rotary Club), she spent a few hours at a local Edeka (grocery store) asking shoppers to buy one extra item from a list for Hamburger Tafel (Hamburg Food Bank). The item could then be immediately donated on the way out of the store.
*Please tell me if I'm wrong, but I've never seen this done in America?*
I think it's just such a great idea because it gives people an opportunity to share some kindness both easily and conveniently.
Emily Joy and I arrived at Edeka (a different location from last year) at 13:00 to relieve the first shift who started at 10:00. After stashing our coats and hiding our purses, we were briefed and trained. I also tried to observe the other workers so I could get down the proper wording.
Yes, we ended up with two foreigners at the door.
Once we were left on our own, I ignored the fear in my stomach and jumped into position at the front of the store -- no turning back -- so I could make some eye contact and pass out some flyers.
In general, we had a very high response rate. After a while, I could better judge who was interested or might avoid my eye contact as if I didn't exist. Just a few times did I have to repeat myself and many times I had to go into a quick spiel to explain the situation. It was only a few times that I got really flustered after a lot of no's in a row which through me off of my German rhythm. But then I rebooted and started again.
Thankfully, a lot of people are already familiar with the promotion, so they knew what to do. Also, there was a poster out front which helped pave the way.
The more touching moments were when a guy came in just to return empty bottles but bought an item to donate. Or the student who probably didn't have a lot to give but bought an extra bottle of Ketchup. Plus the people who bought more than one item, sometimes up to ten!
My personal favorite came at the end, when a man waiting in the line at the bakery came over to ask what we were doing. I explained and he had an "a-ha moment". He didn't really get it on the way in. He asked if we could accept money and shoved a 10-Euro bill into my hand. I waved over to Emily Joy who was standing in line to purchase items with another 5-Euro bill we had received. Once she was back, I ran in, literally as the time to the pickup was nearing, and was searching for diapers since they were the only thing on the list that hadn't been donated. I figured out why. Diapers cost €9,99! Instead, I grabbed everything else I could find and made it back to Emily Joy just as the people from Hamburger Tafel arrived for the promt 16:00 pickup.
EJ also deduced that there was a sale on jam because we had a lot of it coming our way! Plus, a lot of noodles because, we assume, it's the first item listed. If peopled asked, we always directed them to the second column of suggestions because we received fewer of those items.
The only part of the day that was slightly disheartening was when people with younger children who completely ignored us not even letting us ask if they'd like to participate. I don't think that sets a great example for the future generation. Or the people who just blatantly said "NEE" aka NOPE to our faces. Most people who declined did so politely.
Fun fact: we discovered one American participant! Yay!
Going back a little, in the middle of our three-hour stint, I asked a elderly gentleman if he'd like to participate. His response threw me, "I'm from Hamurger Tafel." Oh?
He stopped by to see how things were going and to take some pictures. He was, naturally, fascinated to learn that not only were we two young volunteers, but also American. He then proceeded to snap a lot of photos. We staged some canned pass-offs and redid a few noodles-to-hand-to-cart-packings.
Around this point, Emily Joy and I switched jobs, so I was on collection duty. It didn't take long before we switched back because we were each better suited for the job we started with. But after this lovely gentleman had the opportunity to observe us both on the door for a bit, he finally asked, "Why do you say thank you to the people who say no?"
We both looked at each other in awe as we then realized we had indeed been doing that. I guess that's what happens when you put two Midwesterners on the job.
After an afternoon on our feet and1.5 liters of water, we collected about 12 or 13 "carts". In total, two full trollies were loaded into a van for distribution.
High on life and feeling better than ever, EJ and I headed over to a café for a Kaffee und Kuchen break. Of course, we started to brainstorm how we can work a similar event in conjunction with our Hamburg women's group. There are so many women looking for opportunities to give and serve, but sometimes it's hard to find those opportunities. I'll keep you posted if it pans out. In the meantime, EJ did organize a collection at our women's group's winter flea market this coming weekend.
And, of course, the big finale, today we saw our article online!
"Young people asked for food for the hungry!" -- I went for a direct translation there :)
http://www.hamburger-tafel.de/junge-leute-baten-um-lebensmittel-f%C3%BCr-die-hungrigen.html
They spelled EJ's name wrong and I think they sort of summarized and made up our quotes, but it's kind of fun to be recognized. I hope it inspire other young people out there to donate their time.
In case you're interested, a list of suggested donations:
noodles
sugar
spices (salt, pepper, etc)
canned goods
condiments
jam
juice
cheese/meats (*yes, perishables were collected and kept separately for proper storage)
paper towels
dish rags/sponges
dish soap
toilet paper
diapers
wipes
tooth brushes
toothpaste
feminine products
It was also fun that people donated Christmas cookies and some very nice cheeses and sausages. Only in Germany, right?
How nice!
ReplyDelete