26 July 2013

Hamburger DOM

The big Hamburger DOM sets up about three times a year for fun, rides, and standard festival food. We are currently in Summer Dom mode (19.07.-18.08.2013). It's one of those things that you like or you don't and I've always heard mixed results. But, I always like to try things out for myself.

Technically, I visited the Spring Dom in 2012, but I was alone and stayed longer than I intended because I couldn't find a proper exit. [I never told that story, sorry.]

Last Saturday, Alisa and I experienced the real deal.

We started by taking in our surroundings. There was a lot to take in. I wouldn't even know where to start. Mostly you just imagine really strange clothing choices emphasized by even worse undergarment choices. [I never wrote about that either. It continues to irk me.]

Next came a big Alsterwasser (Radler aka shandy) to assist in the people watching.

Then we starting reviewing all of our sweet options. Truly a treat for the eyes and nose.

Smurfs gummies!
 But we decided to have some real food before moving on to the sweets.

A half-meter (circa) Bratwurst

I opted for the Krakauer

Soon we came upon these inflatable balls which are a running joke with my sister. We'd like to do this together someday.


And then Alisa convinced me we should go on a ride. I started to get scared waiting in line. I'm not a big ride person, but then also seem to sort-of change my mind once it gets going.



before


It was super windy up there. I ended up with major tear streaks from both sides of both eyes. I kept screaming, "I'm not crying!"

during ("Don't look down..."
 Next up: sugar.

We decided to share 100g of Schmalzkuchen. They are sort of like donut holes covered in powerded sugar. While enjoying this delightful snack, we also watched this caterpillar ride. I didn't get the money shot, but when they put up this covering, a rider took off her bra and was waving it around every time she passed the crowd. Suddenly, the covering was removed and it started to slow down. I have no idea how this lady put it back on so quickly and went undetected. Extra bra in her purse? Too much planning?



 After this display we decided we could another beverage. While on our way, we got into a great shoe discussion. Then next thing I knew, my head was hit with a force that caused me to stumble forward and thankfully not over. My hands went to head and I must have had the most confused look on my face. I did not know what happened. I looked at Alisa, who also didn't have a clue, and then I saw a group of teenage boys with a "holy crap" look on their faces as they apologized.

My best guess as to what happened, with assistance from Alisa's eyewitness account, is that these boys were playing with some kind of ball-yoyo on a string that happened to go rouge and hit me square on the back of the head and then returned. Seriously, what are the odds? It felt like a mini soccer ball -- it was soft, but with a harder outside. So, that was fun. If I wasn't so shocked/stunned/confused I may have yelled made a face or laughed, but instead I just stumbled forward holding my head looking for answers.

I decided the answer was a shot of Sambuka and Erdbeer-Lime.



Later, when I told my German about what happened, this was his response: I told you not to go to the Dom.

While it was a fun night, I don't think I'll be returning.


1 comment:

  1. That story is so funny. The candy looks pretty good to me. You look petrified on that ride! (hehe) Why is it that YOU always get konked on the noggin? Sambuka and Erdbeer-Lime?? Yes please.

    ReplyDelete