Last Saturday, I spent a wonderful afternoon and evening with a friend in Lüneburg. I had been there before, but this trip was all about the theater. My friend's boyfriend plays one of the main characters, so we made a little event out of it.
I became slightly obsessed with Rent
during my senior year of college when I wrote a(n A+) review for my Magazine
Writing class. I saw the move twice opening day, listened to the songs on
repeat, and had "Would You Light My Candle?" as a ring tone. But I
had never seen a stage production -- in any language.
I was mostly curious and excited
about the song translations, but after meeting a few of the actors prior to the
show, it brought my excitement to a whole new level.
The theater itself offered a very
unique and intimate performance space. There weren't actual seats, but long
benches -- padded and with a back, thankfully.
All performances are sold out and
now I know why.
If you are familiar with Rent and
the German language, I'm sure the first question you will ask is, "How on
Earth did they translate 'Seasons of Love'??" You know, "Five hundred
twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes".
Well, the answer is, "A little bit
more than five hundred thousand minutes."
No comments:
Post a Comment