04 December 2012

When the Post Office Makes You Cry

Photo source
Sometimes it has nothing to do with the post office at all. But sometimes it does. I'm under a little stress this week as I countdown the days until I get to visit my friends and family at home. I pride myself on being a very organized person -- perhaps too organized. I over think things and worry about what-if scenarios.

So many things in life are out of your control, so all you can do it prepare. But when life, or the post office, throws a wrench into your plans, it's down right annoying. When something so mundane and simple becomes complicated, exactly when you don't need complication, it can break you.

For example, sending a friend a birthday card. One might write and prepare this birthday a bit early and hold it so it's ready to be mailed to arrive at the appropriate time (just a few days in -- just in case). One might go to a stamp machine and purchase a stamp one has purchased so many times before that one could do it with their eyes closed. But, one might retrieve a blank stamp after depositing 75¢.

Spoiler alert, this is what happened to me at 9:00 this morning. I couldn't believe it. It was so stupid and very unexpected and super annoying. I waited until my lunch hour to walk to the post office and wait in a very long line.

I stated my case.

"This is difficult. I've never seen this."

Tell me about it.

"Do you have a receipt?"

No, of course, I do not have a receipt. You are asked if you want a receipt before the stamp "prints". I normally say no because it seems like a waste of paper. I never expected to be shortchanged by the machine. I suppose I will now always get a receipt.

I tried to argue a bit more, but it was unsuccessful. I started to dictate a complaint letter in my head. Before I got too far, my thoughts were interrupted so that I could pay another 75¢ to actually post the letter.

I tried to think of what else I could do -- or the postal worker could do. Ask a colleague? Check the "black box" of the machine (I gave him a time and a location!)? Check security cameras in the area (it's near a bank!)?

But, really, it was 75¢. It wouldn't even be worth it to send a letter, although maybe I could just drop that in the box with a big note: FOR THE POST OFFICE RE: FAULTY STAMP MACHINES.

It's just the principle of it and the fact that something so simple turned into such an annoying task. Which, might I add, happens quite often in the life of an expat.

I am not really sure if the situation would have been much different at home. Except that I wouldn't have bought a stamp from a machine on the street. I suppose I didn't expect any sympathy, but what if I had saved up my last 75¢ to send that letter home. Too bad.

Oh well, my friend will still get her birthday card and 75¢ will not throw my weekly budget out of whack.

At least I'm thankful the tears didn't come until after I exclaimed, "This is really stupid." and exited the building.

1 comment: