Kristallnacht, or "Night of Broken Glass", is remembered November 9-10 when Jews in Austria and Germany were attacked and massacred in 1938. I actually live in an area that was predominantly Jewish in former times, so each year I am able to see first hand the candles lit in remembrance. Also, in front of many building, including my own, little gold markers list the names of Jews who used to live in different buildings. Around 16:30, around sunset, neighbors gather to go around placing lit candles and flowers by the markers. I think it's a lovely reminder because you literally cannot avoid it.
| It's hard to see, but there is a mini police station in the background. This is because the red building is a Jewish school. |
November 9th is also the anniversary of the day the Berlin Wall fell. And this year was none other than the 25th anniversary. There was a lot of news coverage and a beautiful ceremony in Berlin. A lot of people traveled from all over to take part. (Note: the train strike ended on the Saturday evening which did not affect travel to the event!) They had a very cool "light ceremony". The lights were actually balloons and were let go one at a time. It had a beautiful and moving effect.
![]() |
| image source |

I enjoyed this short but fact filled post. I saw a aerial picture of the balloon lights and it was quite spectacular. The news did not mention that these lights were balloons, nor did I see a video of them, but it must have been a splendid sight to see them released.
ReplyDelete