11 June 2012

I like soccer. And, yes, I'm over 18.

The theme of the weekend was soccer. Naturally. The opening game, Poland vs. Greece, started at 18:00 with the second game of Group A starting at 20:45. This will pretty much be the schedule over the next 12 days until group play is finished. Work. Watch soccer. Repeat.

I also have to mention how strange it was to go grocery shopping during the opening game. There was literally no line at the store when I usually wait in line 10 minutes on a Friday night. Dedication.

Just a little Euro Crisis humor.

But, just in case you have something else you need to do, it's hard to be anywhere without getting a status update on the game. Every restaurant has TVs set up both inside and outside. Yes, even the fancy ones. And the Ubahn and S-bahn signs even flash the score of the current or most recently finished games. Plus, I witnessed so much sportsmanship. I saw a Polish fan, bedecked in jersey and red and white flag sitting on the Ubahn. People kept coming up to him and wishing him luck and asking what he thought about the team. And then there's the Italian and Portuguese restaurants, supporting not only their country but also Germany.

Black, red, and yellow flags are hanging from buildings and cars. Trinkets can be found at almost every store. And, of course, there are the fans. I saw so many variations of German jerseys, scarves, and crazy hats. And face paint. Can't forget that. I even picked up my own face paint that was being passed out. It's a little doo-dad that easily paints the German flag on your cheek with one swipe. I still have the Austrian flag face paint from Euro Cup 2008. I also picked up some temporary tattoos with the purchase of a shirt. I wanted something that would show my German support but was also understated. I'm very happy with my purchase.



Germany played Portugal in the second game on Saturday night. It was not the greatest game, but Germany won 1-0. Plus, I got to watch the game with friends, so it was a great experience over all. I even introduced the cream cheese/fluff fruit dip to non-Americans. I can't believe they sell Fluff here. And, virtually over night, it became strawberry season. I bought 500g for 1,27 EUR. Insane. Much cheaper than apples at the moment.

Are you kidding me moment of the weekend? I was buying Sekt and snacks at the grocery store for the game. Let me translate the conversation.

Cashier: Are you 18?
Me: Yes...
Cashier: The total is 8,57.

1. I'm so much older than 18.
2. She didn't even check to make sure.
3. At least it wasn't beer or wine because you only need to be 16.

When my mom reads this, she will surely tell me it's time to not have a high school girl's haircut. And I promise I was wearing makeup :)

Sunday was an impromptu visit to the cemetary -- the largest non-military cemetery in the world. I really wished I had worn my pedometer. I walked so much, I almost didn't think I'd make it back. All of the walking resulted in needing a nap before waking up to watch Italy v. Spain.

No comments:

Post a Comment